Monday 9 September 2024

Coffee & Cake

 Who doesn't like a piece of cake with their coffee. All my life I have loved to bake, however since retiring I have got into the habit of baking a cake a week. Then the wife and I have a slice with our morning  (or afternoon) coffee.


This week it was a lemon drizzle cake, nice and fresh with a lovely sharp taste of lemon.

Heat oven to 180C / 160C fan. Gas 4

RECIPE
225g unsalted butter, 225g caster sugar, 4 eggs, 225g self raising flour, zest of a lemon.

For the toppin
Juice of one and a half lemons, 85g Caster sugar

METHOD
Beat the butter and sugar together then add the eggs one at a time, slowly mixing through so that they don't curdle.
Sift in the flour then add the lemon zest and mix well

I don't use a loaf tin, instead I use a 20cm round silicon dish. I line the bottom of the dish as it makes getting the cake out easier.

Put the mixture in the dish, level with a spoon and bake for 45/50 mins.
Test with a skewer and if it comes out clean, it's baked.

Don't turn the cake out yet. Mix up the lemon juice and sugar, prick the cake all over and then drizzle the mixture over the cake so that it soaks in all the way.

Leave the cake go completely cold so that you end up with a nice crispy, sugary top.

Turn the cake out and enjoy.



3 comments:

  1. I need you at the next village show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, my heritage would allow me but it's a bit far.

      Delete
  2. It's a sad fact but now that I have time to bake cakes I'm no longer allowed to eat them.

    ReplyDelete